Alison's Adventures in Cambodia

Thursday, October 20, 2005

And so my adventure begins..........


I’ve been here a week, but it seems like ages. Cambodia is beginning to feel like home now.

Everything has gone smoothly so far. The VSO Programme Office has been fantastic. We were met at the airport, had all our visas sorted out for us, and then whisked off to our guesthouse, where we were each given lots of information and money to pay for meals. We spent four full days in Phnom Penh, and were given various information sessions on VSO things, life in Cambodia, health and security, dealing with traffic, culture, etc, etc. We also had a full day on a cyclo tour (see photo), going around Phnom Penh and seeing some of the everyday sights. It's a hot and busy city, and although it has its charms I'm glad that I shall be spending most of my time in the quieter provinces.

The weather is hot and muggy, but I am starting to get used to it. Several cold showers a day and lots of cold drinks help! We have also had some torrential rain recently, which turns the roads into muddy, slippery puddles. It will apparently be getting cooler after the end of October, when the dry season commences.