Alison's Adventures in Cambodia

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Who has the power?


Over the last year, the electricity company in Kompong Thom has been steadily raising prices by holding its customers to ransom. In order to get the provincial government to agree to the price rises, we customers are subjected to power cuts nearly every day. When I arrived here, electricity cost 1200 riel per kilowatt; the most recent price hike has brought it up to 1600 riel per kilowatt, but the electricity company doesn’t want to stop there. Already the price is far too high for most people, who earn less in a month than the value of my bill. No wonder that the majority stick to using car batteries for their light, have ice boxes and go to bed very early! This photo is of Rachel preparing a meal by candlelight; note the fleece she wore during our two week winter!

On top of the rip-off prices, I’m only given a small window of time in which to pay my bill, and on two occasions I have paid late, meaning that my power has been summarily cut off! Fortunately when the power was cut off one evening last week, I could use candles for light and it was cool enough to sleep without a fan, so I managed to get through the night until I paid up in the morning.