Alison's Adventures in Cambodia

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Wot a scorcher!!

While the UK was basking in delightful above-average April temperatures, Cambodia’s weather has been hellishly hot. April is always the hottest month in Cambodia, but this year was exceptional, with most days getting to above 40 degrees. It was like living in a sauna and the humidity meant that I had sweat cascading all over my body 24/7 – yuk. I didn’t move more than was necessary, and only then very slowly. My poorly hand gave me a good excuse to really slow down – every cloud has a silver lining! It’s now May and still very hot, but there are indications that we are soon to enter the rainy season, which will provide some respite.
I don’t know if this year’s temperatures are a blip or part of the ongoing trend towards global warming. If it’s the latter, the Cambodian people can’t be blamed, as they consume and pollute so little relatively. Their ecological footprints must be among the lowest in the world. So...... will you lot living in developed countries please stop doing what you’re doing!