Alison's Adventures in Cambodia

Tuesday, October 09, 2007

An important historical date

October 13 2005 marked two very important occasions. It was the day I left the UK for Cambodia and also the day my nephew Ben was born. There are a number of parallels that can be drawn between Ben's development and my own during the ensuing two years. In 2005 neither of us could talk or understand anything that was going on. Like Ben, I was the centre of attention and adoration even though I did nothing to deserve this. If I smiled or gurgled, people were enchanted!
Two years on, and Ben is a walking, talking personality, and I've come on a long way too. While far from fluent, I can hold my own with the language and I can understand Cambodian culture to a reasonable degree. I can even join in with what's going on around me. I've also adapted to the environment and can bear the heat and humidity. Life is generally more comfortable and easy. Shame I'll be leaving soon.....