Alison's Adventures in Cambodia

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Camping

Kampong Thom’s electricity company excelled itself last week. The daily power cuts of an hour or so didn’t have a high enough nuisance effect to warrant charging a higher price per kilowatt. The ante was upped and power in the town was turned off completely for 4 days. For me, this was a nightmare. I can cope without electric light – candle power is fine – but no fan at night is impossible. After 2 nights of not being able to sleep in the heat, I set up camp in my living room and slept in front of open doors. As there was no electricity in the office, I took my laptop to my friendly local restaurant, and plugged it into their generator-powered electricity for the price of coffee, but my work productivity (and CoDeC’s) was not very high for several days. Power was restored a few days ago, so I don’t know if this means that agreement to the higher price has been reached.