Alison's Adventures in Cambodia

Monday, July 23, 2007

Free range cows

Cows are wonderfully laid back here and roam all over the place looking for food. If my front gate is open, they sometimes come in to graze on my plants, and there are often several cows wandering around the CoDeC garden. I saw the baby cow in this picture being born; the owners just watched and let the mother cow get on with it. The other picture shows a cow which has recently taken to sleeping outside my gate at night. Unfortunately Cambodian cows are very stupid and don’t have any road sense. Not being fenced in, they wander in front of fast traffic on the main road. I was recently on a bus which hit and killed a cow. There was barely a murmur of interest from my fellow passengers. There is no sentimentality about animals in Cambodia.