Alison's Adventures in Cambodia

Sunday, November 11, 2007

Missing the boat

I had intended to stay only one night at Tha Ton in the far north of the country. However, a crisis in the form of a cancelled flight into Myanmar next week meant that I became absorbed in looking for alternative options at the internet shop, resulting in my losing track of time and missing the daily boat down-river to Chiang Rai. Once I got over my annoyance with myself, I was very happy to stay an extra 24 hours in such a beautiful place. Apart from the fabulous scenery, Tha Ton is host to a rich diversity of different ethnic tribes. I was fortunate to be invited to join a party in a Shan village that I biked through, which was great fun.
I made it on to the boat the next day and spent a very enjoyable four hours relaxing on the river, even at the rather touristy rest stop we made where elephants are kept.

.