Alison's Adventures in Cambodia

Saturday, November 19, 2005

Motorbike training


On top of the five days motorbike training I had in the UK, I have had two training sessions out here. The first session was no fun at all as it had been raining, and I ended up slipping and sliding along a hazardous muddy road, although I did manage to stay on! The second day, however, was great, and I now feel able to bike through herds of cows in the road and to dodge the rest of the traffic at crossroads, even with a passenger on the back! I can also now ride side saddle as a pillion passenger - the only way to sit on the back of a bike if you are a decent lady, although I don’t plan to do this often!! Traffic is really chaotic out here, and one of the golden rules is that you never stop even at roundabouts and junctions, as it confuses everyone else! Also, the road surfaces are awful and even the best roads have huge craters. Consequently, no one goes very fast, which is good. VSO insists that volunteers always wear helmets, and I’ve gone further and wear an armoured jacket and gloves! The locals don’t understand this concern for safety at all! I should be getting my own motorbike when I move to Kompong Thom, hopefully a new Honda Dream 125cc.