Alison's Adventures in Cambodia

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Good health, happiness and success (New Year Khmer / Buddhist wish)

On New Years Day, I was invited by some of my CoDeC colleagues to a New Year’s celebration in Kompong Thom, which was combined with the opening ceremony for a new church. Hundreds of people attended, which was surprising as 95% of the Cambodian population is Buddhist. There seemed to be a bit of confusion between New Year and Christmas traditions, as there were lots of young people dressed up as Santa Claus!! There were some fabulous dancing displays, the first I’ve seen in Cambodia, and all the better for not being put on for tourists. As usual, I was treated like royalty and asked to sit at the front, so that I got the best view. The huge church building, funded by the French, was ceremonially opened by the cutting of a ribbon, and we then all trooped in and sat through a very long Presbyterian service, complete with hymns and communion. Afterwards we had lunch, and I was then invited back to one of my colleagues houses. A good start to the new year, and I am now beginning to feel more integrated into the community.