Alison's Adventures in Cambodia

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Motorbiking

Jumping on to my motorbike now comes as naturally as getting in to my car back home. Every day, Tha rides pillion as we do the return journey to the CODEC office twice. At weekends, Rachel, Bram and I sometimes go further afield to explore the province. Apart from the main “highway”, the roads are mainly sandy and/or stony and full of ruts and pot holes. As there has been no rain for the last two months, the roads are very dry and dusty, which means that I have to ride through deep dry sand – tricky. I am not looking forward to the wet season, when the roads will become slippery and I hope that Tha will drive for me until I gain confidence. Getting the bikes cleaned at the car wash is the best bargain in town – US 25c for an extremely thorough wash and buff, involving 5 different people and lasting 30 minutes! Like the locals, I keep my bike inside the house when I’m not riding it (although as I lock my front gate I’m not sure that this is completely necessary!).