Alison's Adventures in Cambodia

Sunday, October 29, 2006

A boy and a boat


Last weekend, I went on a cycle ride through the stunningly beautiful October countryside. Wherever I cycle, I am greeted with excited "Hallo's" as I pass by, and as soon as I stop I am immediately surrounded by fascinated children. Last weekend when I stopped, a boy invited me to his house, and then showed amazingly kind hospitality. He and his mother got some coconuts for me from their tree, and then he commandeered a boat from some other children to take me out on the river. He showed me round his family's plot of land, with it's rice field, chickens, pigs and cows. We ate lunch in the area under the house, where the family spend most of the day. He has set up a school room here, where he teaches basic English to the neighbouring kids for an hour every day. I had a great time and am constantly impressed with the warmth of the people.