Alison's Adventures in Cambodia

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Tailor-made clothes


In Cambodia, I am a giantess compared to local people and I find it virtually impossible to buy any ready-made clothes to fit me! Consequently, I have been visiting tailors in the market to have clothes made. When I first arrived here and my Khmer language was non-existent, my visits were a painful experience and sometimes produced terrible results. However, now that I can make myself understood a bit better, I have been pleased with my commissions. An average garment costs $2 for material plus $2.50 for the tailoring - bargain! There is a market in Phnom Penh with ready-made clothes which cater for Western sizes, so I usually have a rummage there when I’m in town, but as I can’t try things on properly there, some shopping disasters have occurred! Because it’s so hot and dirty here, clothes take a real beating. Fortunately, Rachel, Bram and I give a bag of washing to Lily each week, and she does all our washing and ironing for us - fab!