Alison's Adventures in Cambodia

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Dirt

Cambodia is a really dirty place. Every day I fight a losing battle with dust in my house – this picture is just a sample of what I sweep from my floor. Dust gets absolutely everywhere, even though I try to keep the door closed all the time. The smells and dirt from the market nearby are revolting. There’s loads of rotting fruit, fish and veg on the ground, and in the wet season the ground will be like a sewer. In preparation, I have bought myself a pair of Wellingtons for wading through the market! People throw their degradable and non-biodegradable rubbish everywhere. Bigger rubbish is dumped in an area of the market where the street children pick through it, before it is taken away in a truck to be dumped somewhere else. In restaurants, diners throw bits of food and tissue paper on the floor. Grim!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home